How do food choices support milk production?
Let's review some of the ingredients...
- 1 + 1/2 cups flour (I use a 50:50 ratio of almond meal + spelt flour)
- 1 + 3/4 cups gluten free oats
- 1 cup milled flax seed
- 1 cup organic raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (No sweetener is "healthy", however this may be a lesser of the evils. You could also try substituting sugar with minced dates or a mashed banana instead.)
- 3/4 - 1 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup water (or coconut water/milk, almond milk)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup fair trade dark chocolate chips (there's nothing sweet about the cacao industry if it's not fair trade.)
- 2-3 eggs, animal welfare or certified humane (organic, free range and cage-free practices still permit forced molting and debeaking of laying hens.)
- 3 tbsp brewer's yeast (often found at health food stores)
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder (Cinnamomum verum is easier on the liver if you use it regularly.)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
Angela Esplin is a labour and postpartum doula, as well as placenta encapsulator with Full Circle Birth Collective. She has been serving families since 2000, and has recently transitioned back home to Mission, BC.
Click here to read more about Angela.